Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Hard Lessons on Life and Love

"I complained that the road was long until I met a man that had no shoes. I cried because I had no shoes until I met a man who had no feet."

Arabic Proverb


Funny how trivial the daily nonsense in one's life becomes when you are called upon to help a friend whose life is truly turned upside-down. The bad hair day, the late delivery, the grating co-worker, and the traffic ticket would be most welcomed by the patient with a terminal diagnosis, the family evicted from their home, the single parent who loses a job, and the child whose father has been sentenced to prison.

This past month I have been busy learning about the things in life that matter the most as I tried to help a friend whose life was unraveling. Because I only write about my life and my thoughts, I shall not share the specifics.

What I will share is this:

You know all that stuff they say about love, all that feel good froth from greeting cards and love songs and self help books, about love conquering all, and love is all you need?
This month I discovered something rather amazing, even in my own little sphere of cynicism.
Damn it, they are right.

And that is all I can say about it.



"There is a land of the living and a land of the dead, and the bridge is love."

Thornton Wilder

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Not like I personally have any money or such to offer, but let me know if I or anyone I know can help. Perhaps its time for a fundraiser or such - we each have lots of friends with friends of friends