Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Inbetween Opportunities

My cell phone works just fine everywhere, except in Cleveland Heights. In order for me to hold a conversation at home without the call getting dropped, I have to go upstairs or outdoors. This morning I sat on the swing in my back yard and talked to my friend Ed Morrison, who just lost his job at Case.

"What can I do to help you Ed?"
"You blog. You can help create a stir."

The blogging community is developing a powerful voice. We tell the stories behind the stories. We share our opinions. We are being read.

Ed Morrison, through his promotion of Open Source Economic Development and the REI Tuesday discussions, gave Greater Clevelanders - anyone who wanted to participate, an opportunity to listen, and an opportunity to be heard. By providing a regular space and a format for discussion, he provided the fertile ground for the seeds of innovation to take root.
Ed believes in communication and grassroots involvement.
He recognizes the stifling dangers of hierarchal control, black-box discussion, and backroom deals. He is not afraid to speak his mind and he doesn't wait to get permission.

Cleveland's hierarchy was threatened.

Open Source development works.

In his short tenure as the director of REI, a number of groups have organized, beginning to implement the changes we felt would improve our community.
Ed sees himself as a consultant, an Economic Development professional.
I see him as a visionary, as a mentor, as a teacher.

I am anxious to see where his vision takes him next.

No comments: